Applications Have Started for MARUF23 Side Events
What are Side Events?
Side events include events, field trips and exhibitions to be held by the applying institutions during MARUF23 at the Istanbul Congress Center between October 4-6. Side events are interactive events organized on a specific theme, where good practices and experiences are shared.
MARUF23 addresses the work related to the areas of influence of local governments. The side events pave the way for public institutions, civil society organizations, international organizations, universities, funding organizations, and private sector representatives to share their knowledge and experience regarding services, products, and works across a wide range of topics. These topics include environmental management, disaster management, climate change, urbanization, the Sea of Marmara, migration and social cohesion, culture, data management, local diplomacy, local development, city technologies, innovation, etc.
- To create a common platform where relevant stakeholders come together in solving urban problems
- To transform the knowledge and experiences of institutions, organizations, and initiatives into visible sources of inspiration through innovative communication channels
- To contribute to the production of solutions that can reflect inclusivity, accessibility, and sustainability while maintaining discussions on urban problems with an approach that embraces dialogue and plurality
- To raise the awareness on the most recent debates and practices in urban and community studies at the national and international level,
- To support the discovery of tools for sharing and disseminating solutions to problems encountered in urban life, from the macro scale to the micro scale or from the institutional scale to the human scale.
What Types of Events?
- Workshops, Panels
- Field trips
- Competitions and other interactive activities
When & Where?
Side events will be held at the Istanbul Congress Center during the designated time slots between October 4-6, 2023, as 30, 45, or 60-minute sessions. Exhibitions and field trips will take place in Istanbul. Field trips will take place in the afternoon of October 6, 2023.
The day and time of the events will be determined together with the institutions whose applications are approved.
Who Can Apply?
The call is open to various institutions and organizations from Turkey and abroad, including public institutions, non-governmental organizations, private sector organizations, international organizations, universities, research centers, and student communities that produce knowledge, practices, and ideas related to urban issues.
- Moderators, speakers, and facilitators are expected to have knowledge and experience in their respective fields.
- Inclusivity, gender balance, expertise, and the level of impact are important criteria in the selection of moderators, speakers, and facilitators.
- Events that prioritize inclusivity by including disadvantaged groups will be given priority during the evaluation process.
- Applications that embrace Sustainable Development Goals will be prioritized.
- It is recommended to make the sessions interactive through various methods such as surveys and voting. Applications that promote high interaction among participants will be given priority during the evaluation.
- The person/organization organizing the event is responsible for informing and supporting the moderators/speakers/facilitators and participants according to the nature of the event.
- It is recommended that events be designed in a multi-stakeholder structure with participants from different sectors (public, academia, civil society, private sector, etc.) to encourage intersectoral collaboration.
- The expenses of the events are the responsibility of the organizing institution. Only venue and technical support will be provided during MARUF23.
- Event organizers commit to minimizing environmental impacts and showing respect for nature both during and outside of the event.
- Event owners are required to share their events on social media using the hashtag #MARUF23 and include the "MARUF23" logo in their promotion materials. Relevant materials will be provided by the MARUF team for approved applications. Communication materials prepared in this regard must be approved by the MARUF team before being promoted on any channels.
- The applicants agree to use the official corporate identity materials provided by the MARUF team for the announcement, promotion and communication activities and they are not to use any other designs for promotion.
About the Application:
The content and suitability of the event will be evaluated by the MARUF team. Event organizers commit to all abovementioned principles as stated in the application. In case of non-compliance with any of the written principles, the MARUF team reserves the right to cancel the side event.
Interested institutions can apply by filling out the application form through this link until August 1, 2023.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
Evaluation of Applications: August 2023
Announcement of Results: September 7, 2023
Event Dates: October 4-6, 2023
After the evaluation, institutions with approved applications will be contacted to discuss the organizational details of the event.